Friday 13 May 2011

Flying

I'm learning to fly.  There it is.  Black and white.  I can hardly believe it myself.  And whilst this doesn't, on the surface, seem to have anything to do with losing weight - you can bet your bottom dollar that I wouldn't be learning to fly if I was heavier.

Why?  Because losing weight gave me more confidence.  So much so, that just over a year ago I told myself that I would say yes to everything - within reason.   And this positive attitude has led to a more adventurous spirit, and desire for challenge...where before I would have been happy (very happy, in fact) to sit on the sofa watching daytime TV and eating crap.

So, I've had two lessons now.  The first one was for just half an hour, which was mostly spent squeaking in fear  and saying "No!  I can't do that!"  The second, yesterday, was for an hour and the fear had subsided slightly, but I still made meep noises followed by 'sorry!' everytime the plane dipped around in the thermals.  And every time I meep, I jump a bit and hit my head on the roof of the cockpit.  God knows what my instructor thinks...although I like to think - hope - he's seen worse.

The most difficult thing so far is taxi-ing down the runway.  The steering is controlled with the feet and I can't seem to make them work properly, so I veer from left to right like a loony.  "Keep in the middle!" shouts the instructor.  "I'm TRYING!" say I, feet frantically working at all angles.  I foresee tempers fraying in the future.  But for now....I'm absolutely loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment