Monday 16 May 2011

Swinging in the air

I don't really want this to become a 'learning to fly' blog but it's such an important part of my life at the moment that I'm afraid I'll have to share bits and pieces with you.  Today, lesson 2; it felt less scary even though it was a bumpety bumpy day, my taxying was more in-line with the runway AND (fanfare please) I took off AND (more trumpets) I landed - even though the plane was swinging sideways like a hammock on the approach.  No time to be petrified though - knobs to push and sticks to wobble, instructor shouting merrily - some of what he says sinks in and the rest floats towards the top of the cockpit, ready for another day.

The scariest bit of the flight was when Phil stalled the plane (on purpose).  He slowed it right down to about 35kts, with the nose up.  The poor old plane gave a little shudder and then gave out.  This is not a great feeling when you're 2,000 feet in the air.  But nose down a bit, speed picks up, and the engine comes to life.

And talking of the engine...Instructor Phil popped the rivets so I could have a look.  Bear in mind please that I have no idea what I'm looking at - don't know the difference between a carburetor and an exhaust thingy - but I did spot a couple of bungy ropes towards the back.  'What do they do?' I ask.  'They hold the engine in.'  Oh. 'So, basically, the engine is held up with rubber bands?'  'Yep'.

Lesson 3 on Thursday....

1 comment:

  1. Becky, I almost felt motion sick reading that... swinging like a hammock... argh!

    ReplyDelete